Saturday, April 2, 2011

April Fools!

I've decided there are two kinds of people.  Those who love April Fools Day and those who hate it.  I loved it when I was a kid.  I thought it was so much fun to trick people.  I had lost my enthusiasm for it the last few years due to lack of ideas.  The other day I stumbled across some ideas on the internet and I started giggling just thinking of all the fun I would have.  The day before I found a picture of a parking ticket online and I altered it with our info and a ridiculous reason, such as parking crooked, and was planning to put it on Jason's car while he was at work.  I was disappointed when we woke up to a beautiful spring day and Jason decided to ride his bike to work.  So it was time for plan B.  I grabbed Jason's cell phone while he was in the shower and changed my name in his contacts to "Darth Vader".  After he was off to work I sent him a text message that said, "Luke, I am your father!"  I had some other Star Wars quotes in mind but he figured out it was me pretty quickly.  It gave him a good laugh anyways.  I figured he would be on high alert after that and I wouldn't be able to trick him again but I was wrong!
I thought there was no way my kids could resist a plate of donuts when they walked in the door from school.  Kaitlyn was my accomplice in this joke.  We sucked the filling out with a straw and used a syringe to fill them with ketchup instead.  Kaitlyn couldn't wait for her brothers to get home and I was a little nervous she would give away the trick.  As soon as they walked in the door she ran up to them, "Do you want a donut?!"  Jared was carrying a chocolate covered donut in his hand and said he had gotten one for a birthday treat.  Andrew looked at them and said he didn't really like the filled kind.  Kaitlyn was pretty sad but didn't give it away.  She was going to her grandma's to spend the night and I told her to take it with her and trick someone there.  She was very sly about it and managed to trick both grandma and grandpa.  Jason came home from work and saw the donuts.  I told him the kids had saved one for him.  We went to dinner and the waiter asked if we wanted dessert.  I was too full and Jason said he would just go home and eat his donut.  It took a lot of self control not bust up laughing at that point.  I wish I had the camera handy when he ate it!  It took about three bites before he got enough of the filling to notice.  He pulled the funniest face!  He was a great sport about it!

I was talking to my sister yesterday and she mentioned that she didn't play any April Fools jokes because they are all mean.  Of course I was probably always the one trying to trick her when we were kids.  Maybe she's right.  Maybe I am mean-but only one day a year and it was a lot of fun!  All in all it was a great April Fools day.  I pulled off several pranks and didn't get tricked once.  Of course, I better be on the lookout for revenge next year!

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious. I love the jokes you played. I bought oreos and scraped out the frosting inside and filled them with white toothpaste. Everyone except for Daniel fell for it. After they suffered through a gross cookie, I gave them a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merrilee, those are HILARIOUS ideas! I'm totally going to use them next year... I hope you don't mind me copying you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! I wish I could have seen Jason's & Mom & Darrell's faces! Too bad your other tricks failed due to other things.

    ReplyDelete