Last Wednesday the kids got home from school and were excited for a 5 day weekend for spring break. I was trying to finish up packing and cleaning the house to get ready for our trip to Moab. Jared came home and quickly packed his things and did his work so he could go outside and play with his friends. I was busy in the kitchen washing dishes and Jared didn't see Kaitlyn following him as he ran out the door. I heard the door slam and Kaitlyn's cry and I knew something was seriously wrong. She ran into the kitchen and her thumb was dripping with blood. I grabbed a towel and as I reached over to stop the bleeding I realized in horror that part of her thumb wasn't there. Andrew and I ran to the front door and found the tip of her thumb and her whole fingernail stuck to the door frame. I just about passed out and if I wasn't in shock, Andrew was. We were both crying as I tried to call Jason but he wasn't answering. At least I was thinking clearly enough to throw the tip of her thumb in some ice before jumping in the car to take her to the hospital. Jason finally called me back when I was pulling into the hospital parking lot. I asked him whether I should go to the ER or take her to the clinic. He said to bring her up to the clinic. Kaitlyn hardly cried at all on the way to the hospital. She didn't really cry much until I mentioned on the phone to Jason how much it was bleeding. Then she started to cry and asked if she was going to bleed to death!
One of Jason's partners, Dr. Callister, is a hand surgeon. He had already gone home for the day and was getting ready to leave on his own trip with his family for spring break but came back in to the office to stitch Kaitlyn's thumb back together. She was so brave! The only time she really cried much was when Jason numbed up her thumb. Laurie, one of the clinic managers, came in to talk to Kaitlyn and keep her mind off things while they worked. Kaitlyn talked non-stop! Of course she has always loved to talk to anyone who will listen. She was so good and let Dr. Callister work the whole time without any complaining. I think I was more traumatized by the event than she was. I really can't think of anything worse than watching my child suffer. For the next couple nights every time I tried to sleep I kept reliving it, trying to think what I could have done to prevent it. Jared felt terrible. No matter how many times I told him it wasn't his fault he still felt bad. When we rushed her back into the exam room Jason sent the boys to his office. Later he found Jared laying underneath his desk crying. One of the office staff was nice and took them to a room with a t.v. and gave them some cookies to eat while they waited.
Now we have to wait a few weeks to see how much of her thumb will survive and if the fingernail will grow back. It's hard to think of blessings when a tragedy like this happens but we felt fortunate that the bone wasn't damaged. We were so grateful to Dr. Callister for giving up his time to help us. It saved us a lot of time in the emergency room and it gave me so much comfort to know she was in the hands of such a skilled surgeon who we knew and trusted. I was grateful that we were still in Ogden with a good hospital close by instead of on our trip in Moab at a rural hospital. (I'm sure they don't have a hand surgeon.) It was also touching to see how much Andrew and Jared care for her. Sometimes we don't see it with all the bickering that goes on between siblings but these boys were devastated to see their sister suffering and it touched my heart to see how much she is loved.
She loved the pink cast and whenever she is asked what happened she says, "My thumb got slammed in the door and I had to get stitches for the first time." Let's hope it's also a last.
oh my gosh, that is aweful!!! Poor Kaitlyn! I couldn't even imagine what YOU were going through. I am sure I would have passed out seeing part of my childs thumb in the door. I am glad that she is ok!
ReplyDeleteoh my... I'm SO glad kaitlyn is doing ok! I can't imagine how horrifying that must have been. Jesse needed stitches once and I was a total wreck trying to get him to the doctor.
ReplyDeleteOh poor kaitlyn and you. Kids getting hurt is the worst. Glad shes ok and so great to have a surgeon take care of her. And I love moab!
ReplyDeleteOh my WORD! I was complaining on my blog about pulling SLIVERS out of my kids hands! I feel a little sheepish now seeing as you had to find part of your little girl's thumb in the DOOR! Seriously, Merrilee, I'm so sorry! That poor little girl! That really is touching to read about her brothers loving her so much, though. Good luck with everything! Yeesh!
ReplyDelete